At Two Tails we’re very partial to a drop of Pinot Gris, our easy drinking, food friendly, dry white wine has a generous and silky palate that defines premium Marlborough Pinot Gris.
But here’s a fact about this varietal that you may or may not know…. Throughout the world, Pinot Gris goes by a few other aliases…
In the Northern Hemisphere, Pinot Gris wines from Alsace in France can be called Tokay-Pinot Gris, Pinot Beurot or Auvernat Gris. Whilst Pinot Gris in Italy is known as Pinot Grigio.
Because they are grown in different regions, they have different characteristics.
- French Pinot Gris from the Alsace region is typically rich and sometimes sweet, with rich, spicy tropical fruit aromas.
- Italian Pinot Grigio is lighter, crisper and drier with brilliant acidity.
Heading down to the Southern Hemisphere, and specifically right here in New Zealand, planting of these vines began in the early 1990s. Nevertheless, despite its young age, Pinot Gris has rapidly become much-loved and is now the third most popular white variety in the country. Most restaurants have a dedicated Pinot Gris selection on their wine lists.
The grapes for Two Tails Pinot Gris are grown in Marlborough’s Waihopai Valley. The vineyards are on north facing slopes with older river stones under alluvial loams. The vine produces grapes with elegant aromas and dense flavours including apricot, white peach and nectarine.
If you haven’t embraced this popular variety as yet, here are three reasons we think you will love Two Tails Marlborough Pinot Gris.
- If you love seafood, you’ll love Two Tails Pinot Gris it’s well suited with flash fried and succulent prawns or calamari.
- It’s not classified as a dessert wine, but you can certainly serve it with some desserts. We have enjoyed it with a stone-fruit fruit salad and a cherry clafoutis.
- It’s an award winner! Not only has it won a silver medal at the New Zealand International Wine Show. It was also a Blue Gold Award Winner at the Sydney International Wine Competition 2015.
Discover its delights for yourself, buy yours HERE.