Our award winning Two Tails Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc pairs particularly well with seafood, that’s why we do a little jump for joy when scallop season starts.
Although dates vary throughout New Zealand, South Island Scallop Season (excluding Southland and Fiordland) runs from 15 July to 14 February inclusive, check out the Boaties website for more information.
With this in mind we thought it was time to offer you a little recipe inspiration. Last year we were fortunate to have Jan Bilton, recipe developer, fantastic cook and author of “Celebrate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc”, create three regional dishes to showcase Two Tails Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, one of which was a delicious Green Pea Gazpacho with lime & mint served with a divine Scallop Ceviché.
So here’s the recipe, why not give it a whirl, enjoy and happy scalloping!
Jan’s Scallop Ceviché
Fast and Heavenly! Serves 6 as a starter.
- 1 long chilli, thinly sliced (seed the chilli if you would like a milder flavoured chilli oil)
- 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated root ginger
- 2 large limes
- 12 large scallops, cut into 5mm slices
- 1 teaspoon each; caster sugar, flaky sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 spring onion, sliced finely
- Gently cook the chilli in the oil on a low heat for 5 minutes. Cool and strain. Stir in the root ginger.
- Finely grate the lime rinds. Squeeze the juice to make 3 tablespoons.
- Spread the scallops out on a platter. Combine the lime juice and the caster sugar. Drizzle over the scallops.
- Turn the scallops over. Sprinkle with the flaky salt, black pepper and finely grated lime rind. Spoon the chilli oil over the scallops. Garnish with the spring onions.